When Donkeys Fly

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Good Enough

I’m on a lyrics kick…I ran across these lyrics today from Sarah. The first time I heard this song I was visiting a friend in New Orleans for Jazz Fest and whenever I hear it, I always remember a group of us lying on the floor of his living room in the Garden District after an amazing, long day at the festival…we just all laid there, in the darkness that was lit by a few candles, the breeze coming in the windows and listening to the words of the song…re-reading this now, I can relate this song to how badly New Orleans was treated during and after Katrina…aren’t the people who live in New Orleans Americans? Weren’t they good enough? Now with all the finger pointing continuing, its time to forget all of that and focus on rebuilding. New Orleans and its people will be back, it is a hell of a long way home indeed, but through the support of all Americans, New Orleans, a true American city, is on its way....

Good Enough

Hey your glass is empty
it's a hell of a long way home
why don't you let me take you
it's no good to go alone
I never would have opened up
but you seemed so real to me
after all the bullshit I've heard
it's refreshing not to see
I don't have to pretend
she doesn't expect it from me
Don't tell me I haven't been good to you
don't tell me I have never been there for you
don't tell me why
nothing is good enough
Hey little girl would you like some candy
your momma said that it's OK
The door is open come on outside
no I can't come out today
it's not the wind that cracked your shoulder
and threw you to the ground
who's there that makes you so afraid
you're shaken to the bone
and I don't understand
you deserve so much more than this
So don't tell me why
he's never been good to you
don't tell me why
he's never been there for you
don't you know that why
is simply not good enough
so just let me try
and I will be good to you
just let me try
and I will be there for you
I'll show you why
you're so much more than good enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home