When Donkeys Fly

Friday, October 28, 2005

US - China Relations

It's Friday, which in itself is a great thing. Charlie is in fact coming to the ATL this weekend, so I'm excited about that. There is a home GT football game tomorrow, which means tailgating on a beautiful Southern Saturday with a bourbon and coke in hand, good times indeed. But an email I received from my friend Timber "all the way over on the west coast" absolutely made my day. Check out this link and then let's discuss:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6739710473912337648&pr=goog-sl

Ok. Pull yourself together. Amazing. Yes this is just two Chinese students lip-synching a BSB song. But, wait, it is so much more. What is the Chinese infatuation with Western Culture? I love the Houston Rockets jerseys and the fact that their roommate behind them is also wearing a jersey and completely oblivious to the goings on behind him. I don't even think that they know English very well, but damn if they don't know every word to this song. I saw this when I was in Paris as well. No English, but Madonna, Like a Prayer...every word. I think this bodes well for US - China relations. The younger culture in China is not Communist; they are just following an old, established regime. There are a Billion people in China. 1/5th the World's population. Who knew our secret weapon to capture their minds and push them towards Democracy were the BSB and the Houston Rockets? I'm sure that Barbara Bush would be appalled. "What, they are wearing a Houston Rocket's jersey? They may want to come live here, that's the scary thing!" Living in the US, I don't think we fully see how our culture influences the rest of the world. This is just a glimpse into our power...not nuclear or Bushinator power, genuine influential cultural power.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home