When Donkeys Fly

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Day After

February 15th. Thank God no more listening to Valentine's Day crap. And what's with people who call it Valentime's Day? No 'm'...it's 'n', Valentine's Day. But thankfully, no more. It's not that I didn't have a Valentine (whatever that is), since I'm dating somebody, but I'm just glad it's not in my face anymore and glad that I don't have to wait in line at Kroger behind all those Men who are rushing in after work to pick up flowers...there had to be 20 guys in line at my Kroger...I'm sure they would have been beat down if they went home empty handed...what a great commercialization and brainwashing by the industries of America. The green sure was rolling in. Hallmark states that, world-wide, approximately one billion Valentine cards are sent each year, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. Maybe I shouldn't be so cynical. And honestly I'm not, I just don't get all caught up in the masses reaction to a holiday. The actual beginning tradition of Valentine's Day was to send anonymous notes to 'persons of interest'. I could have sent a few of those...it was about courtship, intrigue, building of a mystery, making that loved one feel special. How things have changed. Now many American's rush to Kroger to get cellophane wrapped roses so they don't get beat down. Wouldn't it be nice to leave little anonymous notes for people we are interested in... If you live with your partner, how about a note on the coffee machine or on the mirror or in the car. I think that's a great idea and I'm keeping it in mind for next year.

2 Comments:

  • I love the roadside 'kiosks' that pop up. You know, the one's on Moreland and Memorial. Nothin' says "I love you, baby" like a cheap red teddy bear, some plastic flowers, and an ugly mylar balloon.

    By Blogger E, at February 15, 2006 10:42 AM  

  • I loved the parody on SNL, in the style of a "diamond is forever", except it said "nothing says love like a teddy bear holding a heart" and had one of those cheap looking teddy bears like you buy at Kroger at the last minute. I agree, donks, a thoughtful post it note (or, in my case, a home-made dessert) means much more than a bouquet of flowers at the office to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 15, 2006 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home