When Donkeys Fly

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Putting One Foot Forward

Since April is Alcohol Awareness month, I've taken the self-test to determine if I am in fact alcoholic. Based on this test, everybody is an alcoholic. If you drink twice a week, and have 3-4 drinks per instance, you are a borderline alcoholic. They need to include a calculation for people who live in the South. 3-4 drinks? In a day? Have you been to Atlanta? First off, the way we make our drinks, 1 Bourbon and Coke at Blake's is 3-4 drinks. But, I sense my reaction is in fact the whole denial stage. So I've decided to not drink for 2 weeks. That was the suggestion of the test results...I'll see if I can "handle life situations without the support of alcohol". Sure, why not. I'm trying to loose weight anyway. I've also decided to run the Marine Corps Marathon in DC on October 28th...per a previous post, I've made a commitment, now I need to start putting one foot forward and develop a strong sense of conviction towards this goal. So no drinking (for 2 weeks) and a marathon. I think the fact that I'm heading home this weekend to see the Family and become my nephew's God Father has impacted me...I'm realizing I'm the only one who can change me to get what I want... (cue Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror) ... fade to black... and scene.

1 Comments:

  • My best friend back in school's mom was a counselor and would state that alcoholism is where drink interferes with social functioning--that Winston Churchill downed a quart of gin before noon each day, and he was a great leader. Sadly, I don't think she was aware of the neural changes in the brain which occur with alcoholism. Moderation in all things. Which--you're right--here in the South has a different measuring cup than elsewhere.

    You're back with a bang. Buying a house (rhododendrens or native azaleas, hmmmmm). a marathon. And best of all, godfather to your nephew. That's important. Your own roots being put down. Good for you.

    By Blogger publius100, at April 04, 2007 4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home