When Donkeys Fly

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Living in Whitney's Hood

If Whitney spiraled any further, she probably would have ended up living on Boulevard in the Old Fourth Ward. This is my 'interesting' neighborhood that has a strip of Section 8 housing running right down the middle. Since I bought my house in April, its been, well, interesting...here are some reasons I enjoy my life in the Old Fourth:
  • Being able to say "That's my house" while watching Ciara's '1-2 Step' video
  • Perfecting the look of 'No, I 'd don't want any crack', with just a squint of the eye and a shake of the head
  • Beginning to understand the drug culture in Atlanta...guys that wear white wife beaters = drug dealers
  • Feeling like you are in Vietnam when you are buzzed by a black Police helicopter who is hovering WAY too close to your house while cops search your backyard for somebody...I think they were looking for a lost dog?
  • Having the only white hooker in your neighborhood walk down your street and tell you that you're hot. Thanks!
  • Getting a huge cut on your leg from a chicken bone thrown back at me while mowing my lawn...(I even had to get a tetanus shot!) And I have a great scar on my leg to prove it!
  • Turning up Kanye West's "Stronger" while at a red light and watching the kin folk enjoy the tune by dancing in the cross walk
  • Having a very nice (and attractive) ATL police officer draw his weapon and search my basement (mind-out-of-gutter) for the person who decided to come on in and say hello (thankfully, he wasn't there)

And that's only been 6 months. Wow. Thanks be to Jesus for my roomie...I couldn't have done it all alone with out his guidance! I'm officially a brotha! Ok, only in my head...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home