When Donkeys Fly

Friday, December 28, 2007

"Quarter plus a Dime" Life Crisis

2008 is a big year for me. I turn 35, which is the beginning of the end - right? I mean its all downhill to 40. I just bought some new L'Oreal Regenerist Eye Cream. It's my new best friend. This year is the year to beat all previous years. I have to admit, on one hand, I do like to hear people say, wow, you don't look 35. Whatever 35 is suppose to look like, I'm glad its not me. On the other hand, why am I always trying so hard to be somebody other than myself? Blah, blah, blah, same old story, different mid-life crisis. Its a Quarter plus a dime life crisis. Am I were I expected? Where am I headed? Is Oprah ever, ever going to get those puffy eyes fixed? Why do I worry so much about things I can't control? This year is about being healthy, happy and horny. The latter, I don't need so much help with, but better it should be explained as resolving my horniness with another person. As I look into 2008, I see a year of fun, travel and growth. Nights of rubbing on eye cream and mornings full of SPF30 application. Drinking and frolicking, pictures with friends and watching sunsets alone (I actually like this). As I flew out of the ALB this week and watched the sunrise over Long Island, I realized two things, Long Island is surprisingly small from 25,000 feet and the Earth is a magnificently beautiful place. Who would have thought as a I clutched my styrofoam 4 ounce coffee complete with powdered eggshells, I mean cream, (Delta please drop the extra 3 cents and get mini-moos for all flights), I would have so much self reflection? Maybe its me realizing that my life is half over and I'm still clawing at shadows of self doubt that have haunted me for years or the fact that its me realizing that my life is half started and its time to move past these demons of self doubt and put them to bed. Funny that the only person truly keeping me down is not the Man, but one man - me. So as I look out to 2008 with a non crow's footed eye, I am happy to be turning 35 and look forward to a year full of hope, happiness, friends and memories. Oh yeh, and Oprah, please, please get your eyes done.

1 Comments:

  • I freaked when I turned 35. My life was half over. From then on it would only be sagging flesh, balding hair, dimly remembered libido, and liver spots.

    Boy was I wrong. You are not aware of it, but you are about to--not yet, mind you, but about to--enter the best period of your life. You've got all your marbles. You have your health. You have the maturity to know how to go about getting what you want and the stamina to accomplish it. You are about to mount the summit of your networking and business skills to start making some real achievements and money (some of which can be used to have some real fun). And the libido--it becomes a wonderful blend of mature lust and physical intent unparalleled in your life. You are entering the full measure of manhood.

    This is also the time at which you generally resolve the issues that you feel have driven/hindered you in life. You develop a self-awareness and are able to identify why you are uncomfortable with this part of things, or that part. You need to understand this isn't the "analysis" that men go through in their 50's and 60's, when they see the patterns of the their lives and why they made certain decisions and can see the consequences of those decisions. Nah---save that for later. What you will have is the ability to identify things that you think are troublesome, and then take action to overcome them, or to accommodate them so they are not a hinderance.

    So Happy New Year. Go for it.

    By Blogger publius100, at December 30, 2007 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home