When Donkeys Fly

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ms. Harriet

The nomination of Harriet Miers to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Conner, could be the most important decision GWB will make in office; At least in my opinion. This Justice will become the new swing vote on many influential issues that will directly impact my human rights and the rights of many Americans. To be honest, I look at politics as something that happens, but doesn't directly impact me or my family. We are middle class Americans, Italian/Irish Catholics from Upstate NY...Democrat by birth; in fact I think it says so on my Birth Certificate. But that doesn't mean that I am necessarily Liberal. In fact, I'm about as close to the middle as I can get, without crossing over 'that' line putting me in the gray area between Republicans and Democrats. I would never wear a gray suit, nor would I let my hair go gray. I'm sad when the skies are gray and if you take out the R in gray (a letter I'm not too fond of and that scares me on Election Day) you have gay, which makes me a bit more comfortable. But when GWB had another opportunity to appoint a Justice, I knew this was big. John Roberts is replacing a Conservative; that's a wash. Sandra D...she flopped a bit...even though she was appointed by Reagan, she voted her heart and her principles evolved. But, what to expect from Harriet? I've been doing some research...I'm feeling as if I could actually exhale a little bit...

"Even in Dallas, home of groups such as the Texas Eagle Forum and the Republican National Coalition for Life, some religious conservatives say Miers, 60, has demonstrated an insufficient commitment to family values. They cited a questionnaire she filled out for a gay rights group in 1989 as a candidate for Dallas City Council, indicating that gay people should have the same civil rights as straight people and that the city should fund AIDS education and services. After her election, she appointed an openly gay lawyer to an influential city board."

She holds the future of equality for all Americans in her hands. What will happen in the future is unknown...wouldn't it be ironic, the President that has been so openly Homophobic, appoints a Justice that swings like O’Conner and in the light of creating all Americans equal, swings our way...sounds so logical…I thought I read that somewhere before...

U.S. Constitution: Fourteenth Amendment
Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

If she is a strict Constitutionalist, as GWB contends, we should be alright. Its amazing how GWB is preaching that the Supremes should not legislate from the bench; what he wants them to do is preach. The future will be here before we know it, let's hope we are all treated equal some day. Even though complacency is a language most Americans speak, I'm learning, as I hope that many young Americans will, that participation in politics does matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home