When Donkeys Fly

Friday, January 20, 2006

Reliving the College Days

I read a post yesterday that made me think about my years at Ithaca College. 1991-1995...4 years that were amazing. I've had some great times in the ATL, that's for sure, but when you turn 18 and move to a new city with all new friends in the same place (physically and mentally) you begin to form bonds that are unlike others through-out life. You also begin to grow up and find yourself. Granted, I was not out in college, and I would not change that at all. Some people don't understand that. But it's quite simple in my mind. The years were the early 90s...the city was small and in rural Central NY. I was on a Varsity sport during my time in Ithaca and I had an amazing time with all my dorm mates, house mates and team mates. College is a time for exploration, I agree. But for me, my exploration was all about building strong friendships and creating memories that last a lifetime, in addition to drinking my ass off. If I had come out in college, things would have been drastically different. We are not talking about 2006 or even 2001; try 1991...15 years ago. Crazy to think, but true. Times are different now, and for that I am grateful. Kids these days should feel comfortable and accepted in their own skin. But I, like many of the guys my age, didn't have the climate of acceptance that is currently infiltrating the US. It is still pretty scary out there in the places not classified as a major city. I would never change a thing I did or didn't do in college; they were some of the best 4 years of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home